Jan 12, 2018

Happily imperfect

One of social media’s advantages nowadays is a person could create a “superstar status” even one isn't a celebrity. The bad effect here is  one ends up depending their social-esteem on likes or thumbs up, no. of shares and comments on whatever they post in their accounts. For those people who have low self-esteem, it doesn't help either. What would they come up our posts that would give them a good impression on whoever their audience is even if it screams superficial. They wouldn't mind that because the adulation feeds their ego. 'Peer pressure' has transformed into something bigger in this era.



I have a cousin in her early 30's who posts her branded material things, travels, lifestyle etc. regularly on IG, yet she's not rich. I know it's her page and she can freely post whatever she wants. But due to the underlying reason behind this behaviour, my siblings started to get turned off at her. We pity her actually. Why lie about yourself? I know that her background isn't that perfect(who has?), but she's educated and even have a master's degree to boot. I can’t go all out with the details, but definitely she’s living in her own bubble. She's projecting an image that she's not. Noong una we just laughed about it. We even called her attention a few times(in a nice way). But it all fell on deaf ears. She really enjoys the 'superstar' status that she gets in cyberspace. Obviously, she's loving all the attention and praises that she get. I just  pray she'll have a realization in the soonest possible time. That she will learn to re-focus, get in touch with her 'true self' and on who or what really matters. 

Growing up, I’m very aware on how I conduct myself in front of others. I have a tendency to move towards perfection. I want to look presentable at all times. I want my dress to be like walang gusot and I should look neat in general.  I have schedules that should be followed as much as possible. I’m usually frustrated when I can’t deliver when I need to because I'm worried what other people might think of me. I tend to over think and sensitive that I even regarded myself then as an introvert. What I'm thankful for is my struggle wasn't about material things. It's just simply, growing up pains. Hindi katulad ng mga bata ngayon masyado nang nakabase sa materyal at kasikatan ang kaligayahan nila. 

As I mature, I became flexible. I learned to adapt to whatever the situation calls for. Yung mga battle scars(bad experiences) ko nagpatibay talaga sa akin. The lowest points in my life tested what I'm made of. It is during these times that you learn to know more about yourself- your toughness, your values. Tolerance, patience and positivity are my magic 'potions' nowadays. Mas relaxed na ako. I don’t feel threaten anymore. No pressure at all.

When you age, you begin to discern more, you want to LIVE more. You savor the little things, the details and stories beyond. You realize that relationships matter. You become less wary of what people will think about you as long as you’re contented or comfortable in your own skin. You do things for your own satisfaction and not to please other people. One's priority should be to please oneself. Basta wala kang niloloko na tao ha. Be truthful and kind to others all the time.

Life is complicated already, I learned to ease up. I don't want to live a life based on other people's expectations. If I want to lead a life that is low-key, so be it.  I don’t need to be hard on myself, 'coz cliche as it may sounds, life is short.

No comments: