Jun 18, 2015

on coping

This has been the theme of the day. My son didn't go to work today since he's been suffering from allergic rhinitis. I told him it isn't unusual to catch a cold when one is working too hard. He went to work  last Independence day, which was a national holiday and last Saturday for overtime. I told him to relax a bit today and get some rest. 


I reminded him that I have my share of these health related experiences, too. Back in the day when I used to teach, I can't absent myself kahit may sipon ako. No choice because my students were waiting for me. These souls are kawawa kung tatamarin ang guro nila dahil lang sa sipon. I had to teach sometimes even if I had a toothache, coughing non-stop, voiceless, came from a tooth extraction or root canal and the worst one, was when I experienced vertigo by midday. I had to stop and had to go home because everything that I saw was already spinning. Because of that, my husband had to fetch me because I can't drive then.

There was a time also that my Dad was confined in the hospital due to cancer. Since it was near my school, I asked my superiors  if I could visit him during lunch time. I think that it was one of my lowest moments, if not the worst. I had to battle out the fear, loneliness over the need to be jolly in front of my students. And the list goes on.

I kept going because I'm too grateful that I had work. Like my son, I had my first job just a month after I graduated. Not everyone is lucky to be on the same boat. I've heard horror stories from friends and colleagues regarding work related issues, believe me. On my part, I was blessed with kind Bosses.  So, I always repay them with respect, quality and honest to goodness kind of work in return. As much as possible, I try to give them(and my dear students of course) the best output that I could produce/perform. Malaking bagay sa kanila yung hindi ka pasaway. Yes, I'm a firm believer and live by that old adage, "what you sow is what you reap". 

Hardwork and faith should always persist. Yes, even at your worst times. On the contrary, we shouldn't be cowarded by these humps on the road. Trying times might frustrate or disappoint us along the way. But in the end, this is where you can produce the better or if not, your best version. 

No comments: