May 4, 2015

Organic

I'm loving my organic garden. It is summer, but so far, they're thriving. 

chili leaves for my Tinola

I'm thankful that I was born in an era when planting in one's backyard garden was a joyful activity. Noon, ang dami naming tanim. That was the time na Manila wasn't that congested yet. We were living north of Manila so it was more of a rural kind of neighborhood. I remember, my late Uncle(Mom's brother) ang hilig magtanim. He used to plant mostly rootcrops like kamoteng kahoy, kamote(sweet potato), or corn and other veggies. We had papaya and banana trees, too.

Kaya siguro I like having my own edible garden right here at home. Even though most of them sa pots lang. Of course, a certain amount of TLC is needed for them to grow and be abundant.

Kangkong for my Sinigang
Basil leaves for my pasta sauce and Caprese dalad
Peppermint leaves for my drink
They are healthy, economical and a joy to look at. 
Alugbati leaves for my veggie fix
Moringa(Malunggay) leaves
I'm still hoping that my Calamansi plant will produce its fruits soon. It's been with me for two years now.

Calamansi plant
I like that I don't have to run to the nearest 'talipapa' or wet market to avail of them. It is just right outside my kitchen. 

No comments: