Oct 7, 2016

Hospital episode

Last September 22 my husband finally had his surgery(neither minor nor major) at a local hospital. I can't disclose much for privacy reasons but I assure you that it's nothing cancerous or critical. It just required immediate attention because it was giving him discomfort already.


Anyway, he checked in the night before the operation because the Doctor told him to do so. I think this is to stabilize everything regarding his conditions. I just drove him to the hospital and when everything was all settled(admission requirements), I went home, slept at 12 midnight, up by 5am to cook for my son's breakfast and baon for work. Good thing I was early enough on the road(6:30 am) so I encountered no major traffic at all. I was at the hospital by 7:30 am. My husband was ushered into the operating room at exactly 8:30 am.

While waiting, I said my prayers, listened to the radio(Congressional hearings), read and watched teleseryes on my tv phone just to keep me busy.

My meals(breakfast till dinner) came in like this... 


My husband can't eat solid foods, so it was really for the patient's companion kaya masarap ang food, contrary to the belief that hospital foods aren't palatable.

Before 4pm, the doctor came ahead of my husband and explained to me the procedure he made even showing me the pictures. Though in my mind- I was like "ewww Doc, stop showing me those... aaarghhh!", I managed to compose myself. He came in by almost 4 pm from the recovery room. He was still grogy from all the meds but was awake already. Thank you Lord for the successful surgery. 

We had a rough night afterwards due to some minor difficulties(sleeping, breathing) that needed attention. There was a time he  almost lost consciousness because he stood up when he shouldn't supposed to be yet. Good thing I was able to take a hold of him and press the nurse's station button immediately. An additional oxygen supply was advised. Because of this, nurses keep checking on him the whole night till the wee hours of the morning. Most of the time, I needed to assist him also since his mobility was still limited. In short, I just slept for one and a half hours only. 

I was literally a walking zombie the whole Friday and was able to function on auto pilot because of two cups of coffee. Past 1:30 pm, the surgeon came and checked on my husband. We were told that he could go home na. Alleluia! I immediately worked on the requirements, bills payment, Philhealth, etc.  

last dextrose!
We were released by almost 7pm na. I drove with utmost care and patience because I need to be wary of potholes, sudden turns so as not to hurt my husband's fresh wound. Finally, after enduring an almost one hour Friday traffic(no thanks to Quezon Avenue!), we were home. 

Looking back, I can't believe I was able surpass that 'feat'. Nursing a sick husband is noooo easy task. It requires dedication, patience, physical and mental alertness. And we did it just by ourselves. I didn't know if it's a good thing because I was definitely exhausted. I didn't ask my son to take a leave of absence from his work maybe, because I felt it was just a short stint anyway, nothing major. 

Thank you Lord for my good health conditions and other provisions. We're on our way to recovery now.

No comments: