Jan 19, 2020

When the Camellia blooms review

Last week, I just finished watching this 2019 Korean drama series(Netflix original). Sometimes during the course of watching it, I would say to myself pang Mother’s day presentation dapat ito. Heart tugging ang scenes for a parent and even for a child, 

When the Camellia Blooms is a must watch. It shows the struggle of a single Mom, who is also an orphan, thereby labeling her instantly as an outcast in a small town in the countryside known as Ongsan. 

what a perfect shot! an ep 2 scene when Hyeung sik(a smitten police officer) was trying to persuade Dongbaek(Gong Hye Jin) to allow him to follow her for protection

I enjoyed the series ‘coz how they present the story iba talaga; beautifully written melodrama with an injection of a comic relief and a detective sub-plot. I was hooked from the beginning. When I say I enjoyed it, it means I wasn’t bored, it isn’t too dramatic, story isn’t a giveaway(twists and all), great setting and the cast’s performance is 100% well-portrayed. The main leads have an on screen chemistry. Tawang-tawa rin ako kay Kang Ha Neul(as Hyeung Sik) as a goofy, goody, goody police officer who is head over hills in love with Dongbaek. He was a revelation and he became an instant fave of mine. This is his first male lead role, unlike in The Inheritors/The Heirs where he was only part of the supporting cast, alongside with Lee Min Ho and Park Shing Hye.


How could I forget Gong Hye Jin, one of my fave Korean actresses, both in comedy and drama. It isn't a surprise anymore that she delivered another masterpiece of a performance. This is her latest back from her 2016 series Jealousy Incarnate. I liked her even before in Pasta, The Master's Sun and the Producers. Parang all her Korean dramas are worth watching, script and acting-wise. So whenever I spot a drama wherein she's a main lead, I knew it would be worth the binge. 

The supporting cast also, ang gagaling din, especially Pil-Gu as Dong baek’s son, Kim Sun Young as one of the ahjummas that sells crabs and often picks on Dongbaek being a single Mom, and Lee Jeong Eun as Dong Baek's mother.

Go ahead and watch it for yourself. You be the judge if it is a typical Korean melodrama or not. 

No comments: