Jan 7, 2020

2019 Personal expenses

Saving up is always on top of of my major goals every year. And it is where I also miserably fail. I would list all the necessary budget for the week(food mostly), and health, travel plus miscellaneous expenses. Yung personal ko nakalista din. Medyo nag-overboard ako sa paggasta considering I have additional funds last year from May to December because I paid up my SSS personal loan after two years, pero ayun nga I still failed.

This morning, with the help of my 2019 planner where I religiously list down my weekly expenses(equivalent to a credit card statement for me), I went back from January to December and wrote on a sheet of paper everything that I bought like dresses, bags, meet up with friends, even my occasional facials and massages. I summed up all my purchases monthly. I wasn’t surprised at all when I saw the total gross. I bought three bags this year, a Longchamp one, a Zara bag and an unbranded leather bag in Tokyo. Yun yung may pinakamalaking gastos ko para sa sarili ko. The Boracay trip last March was a major expense too, but I was glad I did it because it was the last one we had with my Mom. Good thing I bought the airfare tickets, air bnb bookings in November 2018, so the Tokyo trip for my birthday is accounted from my 2018 savings not 2019. I noticed when it comes to traveling, I have no guilt feelings at all. It is when I’m happiest. Plus, I don’t splurge on THINGS, but rather than experience. This is where I can say, it was worth every cent. Priceless.

How come I spent that much? Looking back, I noticed my material purchases were bought mostly starting from June onwards. It was where I felt depressed maybe. I think doon ko nabuhos yung grief ko over my Mom’s death. During those times also, I kept myself busy with watching Korean dramas and going to the gym to alleviate the pain or my loss. I must admit, buying things also was part in a way of my grief journey.

December, as we all know is the most expensive month in the calendar, I gave money gifts last Christmas instead of material things but I didn’t spend much on food for Noche Buena and Media Noche for New year. I spent also for my meet ups with friends which I don’t normally do from January to November, so katanggap tanggap pa siya. I observed also that I bought a lot of things that I don’t usually buy over the recent years like my Pandora charms, zumba outfits, and bags. Hindi nga ako namili ng mga tableware and chinaware, ayun ang kapalit. I bought three sneakers last year also but my husband always pays for it. Ganun nya ako sinusuportahan sa pag-e-exercise. :) 

So why do I do this? It keeps me on track of my finances within my weekly budget. It makes me go back to reality when it comes to spending. The thought that my husband works diligently for our family is no joke, so I shouldn’t spend like there’s no tomorrow. It keeps me grounded. That whatever I spend on, it will have a dent on my daily budget or savings. I always pay cash too, because I don’t have a credit card. I really intended not to have one after I stopped teaching. Kapag cash ang hawak mo madaling pigilan ang sarili mo. I always ask myself before a purchase, “is this a want or a need?” or “makakatulog ba ako kapag di ko binili ito?” 

My goal this 2020 is to at least lessen my personal expenses. This one is achievable because I succeeded in the past. I will challenge myself not to buy again the things that I considerably spent much on last year. Stop muna sa pagbili ng bags, gym outfits, pandora charms, etc. Last Sunday, I went to the mall and I’m happy I wasn’t lured from buying in Zara and Pandora, which were on sale. My mantra? My wallet is closed. 

No comments: