Mar 25, 2016

visita iglesia 2016

Staycation during Holy week has always been my family's choice. We love Manila when hundreds of thousands make an Exodus starting Holy Wednesday. 

light traffic along Congressional avenue


Visita Iglesia on Thursdays is a Catholic tradition that is practiced widely here in the Philippines. We don't do this every year. Maybe the last time I did this was five years ago. I felt fine na compared to yesterday. Yes, that daily intake of Vitamin C(plus exercise) really helps. Mas malakas ang resistance mo sa sakit. I asked my husband if we could do it this year. Surprisingly, he agreed. We left at 3:30 pm to let the heat outside subside. I want it later pa nga. Our only son came with us; really a family bonding kind of activity.


I made a list of churches from Quezon city to Manila and another one concentrated on Manila only. It would depend now on my 'driver' kung anong route gusto niya. Haha.

Our first stop, my fave church in QC area(means a lot to me and my son), Sto. Domingo Church. Very huge and presko. Ang dali pa mag-park! 


my son loves the stained glass windows around the church

I bought a Way of the cross booklet just outside for P25.00(ang mahal na) because I couldn't find where my prayerbook was. Kung kailan mo kailangan nagdi-disappear.




Every church I would pray and reflect at least three stations.

Second stop will be my alma mater, UST. Parking was a breeze, too. O dahil at home lang kami.

Santisimo Rosario Parish church


Main building where the former libraries were, kung saan ako nag-susunog ng kilay :D


bougainvilleas in full bloom! I wish mine at home are like these

We plan to go to Manila as planned but from Espana, traffic wasn't moving maybe because of the crowd at Quiapo church, so we made a quick left turn to Morayta. Traffic din, but bearable. Since its along the way, we agreed to visit na rin San Beda and San Sebastian church which is only a few steps from each other. Medyo na-culture shock kami kasi ang daming tao! We were able to park at the gates of Centro Escolar University and we walked na lang a little to San Beda church, first.

very nice and artistic, I can't imagine how this was made a long time ago!
Abbey of our Lady of Montserrat

Fourth stop was San Sebastian Church. Mas marami palang tao dito. Don't get me wrong, when I was little my family would have visita iglesia din but hindi ganito karami. Akala ko umuwi na sa probinsya ang mga tao? Time to really decongest Metro Manila na. I like presidential candidate Mayor Duterte's stand on this-Federalism.

washing of the feet rites at Minor Basilica of San Sebastian
We had a quick merienda just outside the church. We bought Inihaw na mais(for my husband) and squid balls for my son and I. Good thing, I brought our own water bottles in the car. No need to buy. Naalala ko, when we were young din my Mom would always bring our own food like biscuits, sandwiches, water jugs and juices. In that way, no need to buy na alam mo pang malinis ang food mo. May point, mother knows best really.

We decided to head to MOA first to visit the church near MOA Arena and SMX convention center and have dinner afterwards since SM MOA's verandah restaurants are open.

There was an ongoing mass, so I just took the picture outside after our brief visit.

fifth stop-Archdiocesan Shrine of Jesus, The Way, the Truth, and the Life

As planned, we headed to Racks to have dinner muna before we proceed to either Baclaran, Malate Church or San Agustin and Manila Cathedral. We wanted to at least complete the seven churches.

Half-slab of Baby back ribs with mash potato and Buffalo wings, three cups of rice
Imagine, may leftover pa na two pieces of chicken wings. Di ba gutom kami? We felt full outright. My husband liked it, to my son it was just ok, for me I won't order it again. 

We headed to Intramuros afterwards, but a kilometer before Malate church along Roxas boulevard, a traffic build up was brewing. Apparently, everyone wanted to drop by or maybe they want to have dinner in one of the rows of restos available there. By the moment we passed by, traffic was a breeze na. But to our dismay, we had the same situation in Intramuros. Our family decided unanimously not to pass by anymore and just went home afterwards. To me, what's important is I completed the stations naman, plus, we were very happy that as a family we got to do this again, wholeheartedly. Walang pilitan na naganap dahil kailangan lang gawin ang isang tradisyon. We are more than fulfilled with this activity, we feel blessed.

No comments: