Feb 10, 2016

Ash Wednesday

It's been awhile since I've attended mass for Ash Wednesday. When I was still teaching, I never miss it since I was working in a Catholic school. It's a given that a mass will be celebrated and the priests/nuns go around our classrooms too, to put ash on our(students/employees) foreheads all day.

    Ash Wednesday, a day of fasting, is the first day of Lent in Western Christianity. It occurs 46 days (40 fasting days, if the 6 Sundays, which are not days of fast, are excluded) before Easter and can fall as early as 4 February or as late as 10 March. (wikipedia)


Today, I cooked for dinner earlier than usual to attend the 6:30 pm mass. My husband and I just walked since the chapel is very near our village. We thought we were already late since people were overflowing na outside. We decided to stay just behind the gates since we can't bear the humidity inside. Although we were having a hard time focusing since the sounds of motorbikes and tricycles competed with Father's voice, we managed to absorb the mass' message. 




Ash Wednesday marks the start of Kuwaresma or holy days in the Philippines. We are encourage to repent and go back to our Christian way of life by asking forgiveness. I'm determined to lessen my food intake as part of my month and half sacrifice. I promise to stay away from sweets, chichirya(chips) and to eat in smaller portions during meal time. After seven months of mindless eating, this is surely a big step for me. 

No comments: