Sep 29, 2015

Heneral Luna, my kind of movie

Sept. 10, 2015


The Historian in me strikes again. I've watched this twice. I majored in and taught History after college kaya huwag na kayo magtaka. Haha.




Good thing my husband and I share the same interest when it comes to this. In the first place, we won't end up together if we don't have the same wavelength. He will find me boring. Minsan nga mas passionate pa siya kaya sabi ko dapat hindi sya Math major(before he shifted to a Business course), aside from up to now wala siyang memory gap unlike me considering he's older by two years.


Figaro merienda while waiting for the screening

Back to the movie, we were able to catch it on the second day. At that time, I felt sad because there were only few people in the cinema. I thought it would be another interesting historical flick gone to waste. Tsk.

The two hours we spent at the cinema was worth our time. I was surprised. I love that the actors need not be famous or popular as long as they do give justice to their roles. Bagay na bagay kay John Arcilla si Heneral Luna! I love how he says 'Punyeta!'(a cuss word) with conviction. Incidentally, mine is "Punyemas"(mas tamed) when I'm on a really beastmode. Haha. Seriously, it is a period movie but I didn't find myself bored and always kept me at the edge of my seat since the storytelling made me anticipate how the heroic life will unfold in this film's version. Maaayon ba ito sa nalalaman ko? Kasama kaya sa kwento yung mga chismis tungkol sa gold bars na nahukay umano nila Heneral Luna? The funny antics of Alemania, et al is one not to be missed. This, definitely added spice to an otherwise, boring biopic movie. The cinematography and how the scenes were weaved in dramatically(specifically, his European escapade) should be noted, too. Truth to be told,  the movie was indeed a revelation.

I like movies that will make me ponder even long before I watched it- with questions like, 'Bayan o Sarili?', 'How does being a hero or a patriot differ?', "Is Aguinaldo really innocent?" Yeah, overanalyzing is one of my fave hobbies. 

I felt sadness(or agitation?) also afterwards. Just because the issues tackled in the movie are still prevalent in our country nowadays as clear as the blue skies on a sunny, hot day in Aprilself-interests, greed, treason and corruption, to name a few. Nakakainis na parang hindi man lang tayo umusad sa kinasasadlakan natin mula pa noon. Nakakapanghinayang ang mga binuwis na buhay ng ating mga bayani.

Since he was still in the office, I told my son to watch it and he did after a week. Sana pala sinamahan namin ulit, because after three weeks, we trooped to the mall and watched it once more.

I'm happy to note here that the movie was commercially successful. Due to good reviews, word of mouth, and social media recommendations, it grossed past p200 million in a month's time. I heard the producers vowed to film Goyo del Pilar's biopic, which is initially part of the plan, that is to come up with a trilogy(with Pres. Manuel Quezon) ala Avengers. I'm so looking forward to it!

The official trailer...



P.S.

Found this online. Again, I'm a historian but this isn't definitely my line of thinking. I love the reply. No to stress, choose happy lang! :D

No comments: